Thursday, December 8, 2011

Barcaaaa!


This trip to Barcelona...
   Since I have time on my hands than most of group on the trip, I thought I could write my blog a bit more developed. I usually write it has a free write. Just going by what is off the top of my head or what I have been feeling for the past week or so. 
As I seat on a bus with my fellow companions, sleep is at the utmost importance to me for several reasons. To keep up with everyone else when we have rest stops, to get better most importantly, and I’m plainly tired as hell. The trip to Barcelona from Oviedo is around 12 hours so there is plenty of opportunities to sleep, or so I thought. The seats are so incredibly uncomfortable. When my dad got surgery on his shoulder, my brother Britt and I had brought him and waited for him. It was the longest day I have experienced. I fell asleep on a stone bench for an hour or two. These chairs have a similar feel to them as the stone bench did. 
   I’m at aw that I can come on this trip. Seriously, all of those who have been praying for my strength...thank you. I have been reading articles, talking to people, and listening to spanish versions of what mono is. Being in a foreign country puts a stress on becoming more knowledgable on whatever virus you have. One thing I haven’t been doing is receiving a lot of hugs. Thursday night my friend Mag got a gig at a bar to play some songs. It was my first outing in a week and seeing mostly everyone in a long time. People were ecstatic to see me but weren’t to hug me. It put a weird feeling on my heart though I understood why. 
   Although, one person that seems to not be afraid and more into making me feel alright is Mag. He made me bean ‘n cheese burritos, his Mama made me various things, bought me juice, and made me feel...alright. People’s characters show through when you are sick and when you are miles upon miles away from home. And so does your character, show through. Thursday was the first day were I was ready to go home. Sick of being sick. Mad that I had to feel this way in Spain and especially in Barcelona. (I’m starting to think this blog might be a bit longer than the rest...haha) 
From the feelings I was exerting....I asked if Kelyn wanted to skype the night before I left. She mentioned something that I would like to share. Nothing personal just huge factors for this entry. She said that I am never content whatever I go. First in SD, then in Michigan, and now in Spain. I told her she has a point and then I couldn’t figure out why I kept feeling this discontentment. I figured it out on the bus today. I miss people. Extraño a mis amigos. I want to be a thousand places at once and I can’t. For thanksgiving I wanted to be in Spain, California, and Wheaton, Illinois. I’m not content with a letter, a skype date, or some kind of facebook chat. Something I need to work on and something I will work on. 
  I pray to God that I can survive this Barcelona trip. If keeping up with everyone on some excursions is hard...how will 5 days be? We will see and I’ll update as much as I can. And we are finally here...feels like the first week of Spain. 
  We settled in our hostel which looks like some sort of boot camp for the young. Bunk beds, shared bathrooms and showers, and a sink in the room. I kinda like it. Though it makes me feel a lot younger than I am. This entire trip has made me felt a lot younger. I really don’t like it. I don’t want to get any older but I really do not want to get any younger. I’ve found my ideal age.
We took a night tour of the city and I survived. 
   I didn’t have time to put in miniature entires as the days went by. It was because I started to feel a lot better by the second full day we were there. God healed me. I’m still a bit tired through out the day but I’m not complaining one bit about it. It was truly amazing to see how God healed me slowly. The thing about God when He shows His face is that you don’t realize it tell after the matter. Slowly he comes through...like when the sun comes up and all of sudden it is daylight. 
    Barcelona...a place where I would love to live. From being in spain for over 3 months, I have come to learn that I enjoy the bigger cities than the farmland. The people and the sounds are just so abundant and breath taking. One thing that was incredibly annoying, was how if you went to buy anything...the clerks spoke English. Clear English. When I came back last night to my host family. It took me a bit longer to understand what my host mom was talking about. And she defiantly took a notice to that. 
As the days come to an end here...I’m starting to feel torn. Staying would be amazing. Leaving would also be amazing. I tend to find out that I am more of a relation person then ever before. I miss people rather than location. I used to think that the reason why I couldn’t move to Illinois after school was because there would be no beach, Mexican food, or sun. That isn’t the case...I would miss people that have made me the place I call home. So has the thought of moving to the mid-west cross my mind? It has and it keeps crossing my mind. Will Oviedo be a home also? The people I met do they make my home here? 
   The Barcelona memories will be with me forever. The postcards and Barcelona jersey will hopefully be in my possession for awhile. The choices I made on the trip will hopefully resonate with me. I hope to never lose site of what I was taught here in Spain. I almost quite writing my blog in the first month because it seemed more of a hassle then an enjoyable task. I mentioned it to my brother and he told...don’t you want to remember? To go back and be able to look back? I agreed and proceeded with my writings. I am so glad I did because I wouldn’t want to forget this time here. I have grown. The sickness I had might of been a terrible experience but it had to happen and I am glad God let it happen. 


No comments: